Monday, February 25, 2013

REVIEW: The Darkening by Caris Roane


Title: The Darkening
Series: Dawn of Ascension
Author: Caris Roane
Published Date: February 14, 2013
Publisher: St Martin's Paperbacks (?)
Format: ebook
Pages:  170
ASIN: B00BEXZZPW
Copy provided by: Innovative Online Book Tours
Genre: paranormal Romance
Add to: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon
Rating: 4 stars

Goodreads Synopsis: A tortured warrior and a peace-loving counselor battle to protect Second Earth against a powerful dark force…
He thwarted connection of any kind…
Fearing that his newly emerged grayle power will kill innocent ascenders, Samuel Daman struggles to keep his distance from beautiful Vela Stillwell. But the breh-hedden has struck and her light floral scent tears at his restraint. When the enemy draws them both into the darkening, a place of secret travel for Third ascenders, will Samuel learn to control his power, or will he destroy what he desires most?
She hid from grief…
Vela Stillwell wanted a new life, away from Militia Headquarters, away from the reminder of all she’d lost when her husband died five years earlier. Seeking a more reclusive occupation, she finishes her last day of work only to have Samuel Daman and the infamous breh-hedden sweep through her life. Though trying to disconnect from her new emerging power and from Samuel, the call of the darkening pulls Vela into an adventure that both terrifies her, yet reveals the truth about her deepest desires. Will she succumb to the breh-hedden, or will her fears prevent her from living life to the fullest?

My Review: I would like to thank Innovative Online Book Tours and Caris Roane for giving me the opportunity to read this book for review. 
I love this book. I love it! I have loved this series since the very first book. I've read the first four books of the Guardians of Ascension series, and am looking forward to finding time to read the next in the series. Every time I hear a friend tell me she's looking for a good paranormal romance book, I always point her towards this series. It's just that good.
There is a jump in the last book of the series I read (#4) and this novella (#6.5), so there was some stuff that I didn't know, but I knew enough of the world to piece things together. So if you're going to read this book, you really do need to start from the beginning of the series. The world is so well-built, and terminology is added in there that isn't explained in the middle of the series. 
There was only one thing that truly disappointed me in reading this book. One of the What-Bees (see...terminology!) that I like hasn't found his breh yet, and he really deserves a good one! So please Ms. Roane, if you're reading this review, please please find Luken a breh! He's such a  sweetheart, he really deserves happiness.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series before, but it sure sounds good. I'm glad you're liking it and I'll check it out soon. Thank you for sharing and awesome review, Kristin! :)

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series too :) I posted your review to Caris's Facebook page as well.

    ReplyDelete