Sunday, December 9, 2012

REVIEW REDUX: The Curses of a Thousand Mothers - How We Pursue Joyful Sins by Thejendra BS

Title: The Curses of a Thousand Mothers - How We Pursue Joyful Sins
Series: none?
Author: Thejendra BS
Published Date: Aug 16, 2012
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Format: ebook
Pages: 10 (Amazon has 28 pages for the paperback)
ISBN-10: 1479130583
Copy provided by: author through Librarything
Genre: Spirituality
Add to: (not listed in Goodreads)
Purchase: Amazon
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: 'Have you committed any sins today? No? How about yesterday? No? What about the day before yesterday?' 'Hey, stop asking stupid questions! I am no sinner.' 'Oh, come on, tell me the truth. How many sins did you collect today?' 'Now stop accusing me, okay? What sort of silly discussion is this? I said I am no sinner.' 'Are you sure?' 'Yes, I am damn sure! But how are you damn sure?' 'Look, I pay my taxes, I am a law-abiding citizen, I haven't killed anybody, and I give the best to my family, and hence I am no sinner! Stop asking rubbish questions.' 'Besides, I don't believe in such ancient crap.' 'But why don't you believe in it?' 'Hey, it is the 21st century, stupid! Concepts like sins are just superstitious garbage. It is pure nonsense, idiotic, lies, hogwash, foolish, silly, brainless, humbug, bullshit, irrational, crazy, absurd, ridiculous, stupid and gobbledygook, believed only by spiritual lunatics who have lost the plot! I laugh and sneer at such trash!' 'Hmm, okay. I loved your maniacal laugh. So what sins have you committed today?' 'Hey, are you on rewind or something? Didn't you understand what I said? I told you I am no sinner.'

My Review: Basically this book is how we all encourage sin to occur because we're all invested in this high technology, fast paced world that allows things such as sweatshops and slave mining to occur so that we can continue getting the next big thing. I don't agree with the author's point of view. For example, his point of view is that because I buy an IPad (and a million and one other people), I am encouraging the manufacturer to find more cost effective ways to mass produce IPads, which may include sweatshops. I disagree with this. The basics behind any economy is supply versus demand. However, I do not go to the CEO of Apple and put a gun to his/her head demanding that they use sweatshops to produce the product. That is a morality issue that falls square on his/her shoulders. Let's take another look at that idea. Say I work 40 hours a week, and I work efficiently. I don't do anything strange to doctor the results of my work, I simply work efficiently. My boss sees me work efficiently, and sees that I can do the work of myself and a part-time worker, so he decides to fire the part-time worker. Is it my fault that the part-time worker lost his job? Should I work less efficiently to make sure that all my co-workers keep their jobs? As one person told me once, "I am not responsible for another person's actions." Most of you who read my previous review of another of the author's books remember the scathing I gave because of the price. Well, this book is 10 pages long on Adobe Reader. The ebook is sold on Amazon for $0.99. If you're willing to pay that for 10 pages, I don't consider that to be too bad a price. However, the paperback, which is listed at 28 pages, is sold for $4.75. I think I'd rather spend it on a extra large frappaccino from Starbucks who may or may not be employing sweatshops in their production of their cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment